Tuesday 5 May 2015

When things choose you... #sol15






This week, I read Sarah Brown Wessling's "A Letter to My Children: What It Means to Be a Teacher"
(I highly recommend you read it too!) Sarah writes, "What I want you to know is that there are things in this world that you will choose, and there are things in this world that will choose you."  

That line struck me as so very, very true.  I believe that we come to occupations, and places and people for reasons that we might not even understand, but always for a reason.  

I feel that way about my house. 

The morning after our wedding, my husband Mike and I went to brunch. We were leaving for Mexico the next morning and that Sunday was meant to relax and catch our breath after our Saturday wedding.  On the way back from brunch, Mike told me there was an open house he wanted to check out in the town we were hoping to live.  There was a line of people waiting to go inside.  The house was right across the street from the sprawling brick elementary school with the white pillars in front that I absolutely loved.  To live right across the street from an elementary school is considered a drawback in real estate but I thought it was one reason that this house might be calling my name! 
When we got inside the house, I thought it was lovely. Small from the outside, it was spacious inside. Hardwood floors, an updated kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a screened in porch, a door from the kitchen to the garage.  But, what sealed the deal for me and convinced me that we HAD to have this house was the built in bookshelves framing the door to the office:


This is how I knew I was home.  
I stalked the house on the web during our Mexican honeymoon.  Each day, when we needed a break from the sun, we would head to the computer room at the hotel and check the real estate site to make sure the house was still for sale.  When we returned from Mexico, we made an offer on the house and it was ours.  As it should be.  
There are some things in this world that you will choose and some things that chose you.  So happy my house chose me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment